Sunday, June 21, 2009

Nightmare's Edge

The following are quotes from the final installment in Bryan Davis' trilogy Echoes from the Edge. Hopefully they touch your heart and give you a new perspective on life, love and everything in between. I found a lot of them deal with love, sacrifice and bravery but I'm sure you will find one that pertains to your life at the moment. Bryan Davis wrote the script for Nightmare's Edge so poetically I find it hard to believe it was actually him that wrote it. Before I leave you with these quotes I want to let you know that anything that is italicized is a song (though you will probably already notice this yourself). I hope you enjoy and take the time to really try and understand the various themes of life that are displayed.

...it was passion-- pure emotion wrapped in a melody, an expression of love so untainted, as if Amber poured out her life energy, bleeding and dying for her beloved Francesca.
~Nightmare's Edge; pg.79

My love is pure, my child is wild;
It longs to dance with heaven's child.
O let the music flow within,
The song of love that purges sin.

To dance with me is life from death;
To dance with me is reborn breath;
To join our hands, to join as one,
Reflects our merging with the Son.

To supplicate is but a sign,
A portrait of your saviour's mind.
His love for you, his gift to share,
Compassion bleeds in souls stripped bare.


Forgiveness flows in hearts of praise,
In eyes that choose the forward gaze.
Let partners lose what love has burned,
For love sets fire to pages turned.


So dance with me, forget the past,
Re-pour the mold, the die is cast;
The music burns the settled dross;
Our dance restores the deepest loss.

~Amber's Song (Nightmare's Edge; pg.79-80)

Let the pain flow. Without pain there is no passion.
~Francesca Red (Nightmare's Edge; pg.102)

Only sacrifice draws a holy flow from within, and only a bleeding soul can reach down deep enough to find the blazing fire-- the God-given inferno that purges every particle of dross that spoils the master's silver.
~Francesca Red
(Nightmare's Edge; pg.102)

I have told you a hundred times that you have more talent than I do, yet you have not reached into your soul to grasp it. You have to roll away that stone that's keeping that talent from rising into your heart and into your hands.
~Francesca Red (Nightmare's Edge; pg.102)


Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, my presence my light.
~Be Thou My Vision (Nightmare's Edge; pg.103)


Amazing grace is lost for me,
A harlot soiled and stained.
A wretch I am, a wretch I'll be,
Till love unlocks my chains.

Could Nathan ever dance with one
So foul, unclean, a liar?
Will grace he plays on strings of ice
Be wrought in hands of fire?


The girl I was is crucified,
Impaled by God's dear Lamb.
Can Nathan purge the girl I was
And love the girl I am?

~Kelly's version of 'Amazing Grace' (Nightmare's Edge; pg.124-125)


Sacrifice appears as a curse to those with limited perception. To the beneficiary, it is life itself. To the provider, it is the path to enlightenment and the end of all fear, for perfect love casts out all fear.
~Cerulean (Nightmare's Edge; pg.143)

We all have to suffer the presence of death to enter the arms of our supplicant, but death is merely an odor. It comes and goes like breath in our nostrils, and after it passes by, only the fragrance of life remains.
~Felicity (Nightmare's Edge; pg.144)

Dreams often give us eloquence, Nathan, for God pours wisdom into the dreams of men.
~Francesca Red (Nightmare's Edge; pg.144)

A fool always loses his temper, but a wise man always hold it back.
~Nightmare's Edge; pg.149

Do not be afraid of sudden fear or the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
~Solomon Red (Nightmare's Edge; pg.149)

Sometimes it's better to face reality, even if it's frightening. I know how hard it can be, but if people would learn to overcome their fears, they would be able to move mountains.
~Solomon Red (Nightmare's Edge; pg.188)

O Father in heaven, so holy and true,
Defender of pilgrims who cry out to you.
O Jesus, my supplicant, holy and wise,
Who guides our next footstep, our hands, and our eyes.


O Spirit indwelling, my comfort, my friends,
We beg for the words that break though and transcend.
Receive out low groanings, our pleas, and our prayers.
Protect us, defend us, remove all our cares.


We hear the sad tolls of the bells in the tower
For widows, for orphans, to fear and to cower.
It rides on the wind, and it called from the sky,
"Bewail and despair, for you all will soon die."


Restrain the fowl stalkers and silence the bell,
And cast all the demons and killers to hell.
Prepare us to battle the dissonant choir
With music that heals us with water and fire.

~Scarlet (Nightmare's Edge; pg.247-248)


You are willing to change you mind...Such willingness heals many wounds. It reaches out to everyone you touch and helps them see what real love means. Love has nothing to do with emotions, but everything to do with sacrificing yourself for the sake of another.
~Scarlet (Nightmare's Edge; pg.256)

The breath of God never fails, my son. Whether by music, by love, or by resurrection from the dead, He will restore everything to its proper place.
~Francesca (Nightmare's Edge; pg.295)

For the power of heaven to pull you upward, all you have to do is surrender to its call.
~Cerulean
(Nightmare's Edge; pg.316)


It is when you realize that your own strength is inadequate that real faith begins.
~Patar
(Nightmare's Edge; pg.324)


The stone over your heart has rolled away. The music of you soul has been set free, flowing through your gifted hands.
~Patar
(Nightmare's Edge; pg.329)

Now stand before the righteous king,
The judge of all the earth,
And hear his verdict play and sing,
Declaring blight and worth.

To dust and ash we all must turn,
The final dance of life.
For this I live, for this I yearn,
To be my saviour's wife.

To waltz with hm, to sway and spin,
To dance upon the stars;
I leave behind this world of sin
And kiss away my scars.

~Amber (Nightmare's Edge; pg.331)


Whenever someone dances with another, he is saying that he agrees with every aspect of his partner's purpose-- the partner's belief and the principles by which he or she lives. If the music is greater that of both partners, each one gives up his own path to follow the music's universal call.
~Amber (Nightmare's Edge; pg.333)




No comments: